Thursday, August 2, 2007

Library

Last weekend I was reading The Secret of Us by Roxanne Henke, got halfway through and just couldn't finish it. I loved her Brewster series (with the exception of Finding Ruth) but this one just didn't grab me. I tried for an entire half of the book! Oh well. After that I tried EIGHT more books and couldn't get into any of them! I am now 5 chapters into Burning Bright by Tracy Chevalier (remember I really enjoyed Girl With a Pearl Earring, much to my surprise) and this one is pretty good so far too. But don't be surprised if I don't finish! I just don't know if it's the books, or if it's me, that I can't get into any books. I think it's the books but not sure. Well anyway.........

.......I went to the library last night, took back those 8 books and got a bunch more. These are the books I checked out:

-A Woman's Place by Lynn Austin (for my book club)

-To Love, Honor, and Vacuum by Sheila Wray Gregoire (funny title!)

-Firebird by Kathy Tyers (sci-fi, not usually my thing but it was recommended)

-Spirit and Flesh: life in a Fundamentalist Baptist church by James M. Ault, Jr.(I may use this as my substitute Non-Fiction Five Challenge book for August

-The Frazzled Mother's Guide to Inner Peace by Pat Baker

-The Tree of Red Stars by Tessa Bridal (recommended by BeckyB)

-Death Comes as Epiphany by Sharan Newman

-Confessions of a Slacker Mom by Muffy Mead-Ferro

-Confessions of a Slacker Wife by Muffy Mead-Ferro

-Kids Knit!: simple steps to nifty projects (I am going to learn to knit! I decided to get a kids book to make it easier LOL)

AND....yes I am finally going to see what the craze is all about....as a Christian I wasn't sure how I felt about these books, and they didn't really interest me that much anyway...but after reading various comments about the latest book including thoughts by Mommy Brain....I decided to give it a try (ready whenever you are BookBelle!)....

-Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. Rowling

I'll post again after I read or don't read all these books and let you know how many I actually read all the way through. One never knows..........LOL

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have times like that also when I just can't get into a book. I'll try different ones, and finally one will click. I have quite a few books on my shelf that have been sitting there for the longest time, but every time I go to pick one up, I just don't want to read it at that time.

I've never read Harry Potter either! And have no interest in doing so.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the link! I'm glad you're dipping into Harry Potter for yourself - at least then you can make your own decision on the series. As you know, they're a big favorite of mine!

Beckyb said...

So - I want to know what you think of the Tree of Red Stars - it was not my "normal read" but turned out to be a good one, I thought! What a great list - now I've added to my TBR list!!! Thanks!

Much Ado said...

Yes, I agree some books are just not worth reading to the end, I used to always read to the end no matter what....now not so much. Will be interested in hearing what Burning Bright is like.