Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Vanishing Acts

I read My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult in 2005 after hearing so many good things about her books. I really liked it and looked forward to reading more books by her. I didn't read another one until a few weeks ago when I tried reading The Tenth Circle and I didn't even read very far, didn't care for the subject matter. I just finished Vanishing Acts yesterday. I only give it an "okay". It started out pretty good, but when I was halfway done I really didn't care if I finished it or not. It's about a woman named Delia Hopkins who is planning her wedding to her 5 year old daughter's father when she finds out she was kidnapped by her father when she was 4 years old. The story is told by various characters including Delia, her fiance Eric, her father, and her best friend Fitz. I think I liked it best when it was Delia or Eric talking. What I didn't like about the book: the descriptive scenes from inside the jail (yuck, I don't need to hear about all that), the swearing, the Native American mysticism , some of the wording of their thoughts was sappy (sorry I don't know how to describe what I mean), just so many things I don't agree with. I would not recommend this book at all.

So, Jodi Picoult fans, since I really liked My Sister's Keeper, and didn't like The Tenth Circle or Vanishing Acts, which other books by her do you think I might like?

4 comments:

Sarah at SmallWorld said...

Thanks for the review. I read The Pact earlier this month. (You can read a review on my blog at homeschoolblogger.com/SmallWorld.) It was engrossing, but after reading it I wasn't sure that I'd pursue any more Picoult books. I'm just not sure I want to spend my time on her books. It was one of those books that I couldn't put down, but I didn't feel particularly enlightened after reading.

Kim said...

I just bought The Tenth Circle and am starting it tonight. I hope I don't find it was a waste of money. This is the first Picoult book I'm reading.

Anonymous said...

I loved "My Sister' Keeper" it is by far the best one of hers that I have read. Did not love Vanishing Acts or The Pact. The one that I really really liked was Keeping Faith.

Stacey
littleb55@aol.com

Anonymous said...

Plain Truth was also great! My favorite after Sisters Keeper.

Stacey